Wednesday, September 3, 2014

on my bookshelf #1














I am a really big fan of all books, especially art books. Here are a few from my ever growing bookshelf. Sometimes I read on my iPad with a Kindle app. It's ok, but I do love the feeling of having a pile of great art books nearby….the feeling of the worn pages and the sound of pages turning….. I can't get that with an app-at least not yet.

Water Paint and Paper is published by Quarry books and I alway find them beautiful. Heather's watercolors and techniques are lovely.
I'd Rather be in the Studio is a great book with practical advise about the business of being an artist.
How To be an Explorer of the World is a book that encourages playful, courageous and outside the box exploration.
The Confident Creative is written by a Boston artist and gives great advise and exercises to nurture imagination.
The Drawing Mind is written by another Boston area artist and  teaches fun  drawing techniques to free us from the internal critic.
Art from Intuition is written by my former Mass Art Professor Dean Nimmer. He is a brilliant and funny teacher. He also encourages creative exploration and teaches useful  strategies to approaching your work  more intuitively. His new book Creating Abstract Art comes out in October.
Creative Lettering explores many lettering styles by an assortment of artists.
Designing Patterns is a new book and it explorers the ins and outs of surface pattern designs and it also has a CD with templates to design your own patterns.
That's it for this round. I Hope it was helpful.

What books do you read?
I'd love to know what books you find helpful to your art making journey.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment